“Kaelum you insufferable-” my face getting heated, my blood boils, “You’re a prick!” I huffed and gathered my torn robes. I stormed off towards my small hut, Cyrene followed.
“I admit he went too far.” She scans my shredded robes and freshly cut skin.
“Oh do you?” I scoffed, only to pause and sighed, “I’m sorry Cyrene.”
She nods her acceptance, “Yes, I do. Kael went too far, but you know yelling at him will only make him want to push your buttons more. You’re really doing it to yourself in the end.”
I hate that she was right, Cyrene’s magick lies with Aquara, a water based magick. She, like others of the same path, are deeply in tune with not only their own emotions and feelings, but that of others. They sense things others overlook quite easily. So when Cyrene is right, she is right.
I turned to find other robes and changed quickly, cleaning up the thin lashes from Kaelum’s dagger. They look minor, but with his Fyre magick infused into the metal, the pain is excruciating. I couldn’t let Cyrene know that. I took a moment to collect myself and clean up the lashes the best I could before Cyrene and I attended our next class. We walk quietly along the dirt path,
“He just angers me Cyrene. I know he despises me because of my father. What better reason to leave me alone then? But then, he just keeps going. I don’t get it.”
She chuckles, my eyes narrow. I know that chuckle, like she knows something, I was about to ask her until Warin intervened on our path.
“Lyra, Cyrene, good afternoon.” He bows, his gray curly hair bounces, “Lyra, are you well? Do you need to see Mistress Zena?” His steely grey eyes tried reading my face, I tried keeping my composure.
Warin hasn’t just been a teacher to me, he’s been the only man who has ever been a real father figure to me since being in Blackwater. I respect and admire him greatly, I know he worries about mother’s prophecy. I’m the one who is supposed to end the tyrant reign my father has set against Magick Folk.
“No Master Warin, I’m alright.” I meet his eyes, I stand firm even though it actually feels like I’m burning from the inside out. He took a moment to consider before saying,
“Very well. I’ll have you know Kaelum will be punished for his actions. But I advise that you brush off any remarks from him. Choose your battles wisely Lyra.” With that he bowed, “Good day to you ladies.” and he continued on his way.
We quietly say our goodbyes and continue to our Enchantment Lessons, Cyrene nudges my arm, “Master Warin has a good point.”
I rolled my eyes before a smile broke on my lips, I linked our arms, “Whatever you say Cy.”
Taking our seats, I noted Kaelum’s stare. He was absolutely pissed about whatever punishment Warin had given him. Cyrene and I exchanged looks.
Master Elwin moves to the podium in the center of the room, his robes swishing the floor, a pale grey glow wisping around him. The air shifts, the wind sweeps over us calmly, “Good afternoon acolytes, today we begin our lesson with Healing Enchantments. Please take out your scrolls and follow the text accordingly."
Over the next hour we practiced and prepared bottled healing tonics, Master Elwin stepped up to his podium, “Well done everyone, you are excused for today. Remember your Enchantments exams will be held at the end of the week. Please read your materials and practice your tonic making!” He smiles brightly dismissing the group.
I started packing my scrolls and books into my bag, I felt his presence before I saw him. I look up to see Kaelum staring down at me, his arms crossed.
“What do you want Kaelum?” I hoped my tone was evidence enough that I had enough of him for, I don’t, the rest of my life.
“I’m here to take your bag.” He leans down trying to grab it.
My hand flew to his wrist, I winced in pain, “I beg your pardon?!”
He rips his wrist back like he was touched by poison, he scowled, “Master Warin has instructed me that I tend to you for the damage I did. Carry your bag, help you with training. Ridiculous.” His eyes rolled.
“You’ve got to be kidding me!” I turn to Cyrene in desperate need for help. Her face was red as a tomato reframing from laughter. I let out a disgruntled sigh,
“For a week.”
“Absolutely not!” I stood up in haste, my head spun a little and the sharp pain of the gashes burned through the cloth bandages. I shook my head, “You’re not doing anything for me.”
“Believe me, you’re not doing anything for me either.” He reached down and grabbed my bag shouldering it, “Just shut up and come on. I don’t have all day.”
I briefly turn to Cyrene before going after Kaelum. I rushed after him, the cuts still burning from this morning, a flash of pain hit my ribs.
“Give me back my bag, I don’t care what Master Warin has instructed.” I breathe in through my nose trying to distract myself from the pain. Kaelum’s mask slipped slightly, he almost looked regretful.
“Just shut up.” The mask came back into place and he walked off to our afternoon training.
“Prick.” I huffed.
After training I was sweaty and exhausted, every limb burned. The dagger marks opened up again, I sat on the cool stone bench drinking the icy cold water from my rabbit skins canteen. Blood started to seep through my robes, I pulled the silk away from the sticky mess. Maybe I should have seen Mistress Zena. I didn’t notice Kaelum approaching.
“I should go see Mistress Zena.”
He said nothing, just grabbed my bag and stalked towards the Healing Temple. Inside I peer over the desk and around the small waiting room.
“Mistress Zena?” I called out, “I need some help.”
A small elderly frail woman appears from behind the curtains, her spectacles large and round, hiding nearly her entire face, she smiles warmly, “Lyra my dear, are you unwell?”
“Yes Mistress Zena, I-” pausing, I glance towards Kaelum, he just turns and sits on the cedar bench near the foyer, “I’m not feeling well, I was hoping you’d have time to see me.”
“Of course dear, of course. Come with me.” She gestures towards the exam room, “If you would please change into these, I’ll have Mistress Keeva wash your robes and return them to your hut.” She left for a moment while I changed, returning with Mistress Keeva, they prepared tonics and salves.
While Mistress Zena sorted through a variety of vials, she hummed quietly. The energy is shifting and growing calm. I breathed in and felt relief for the first time all day. Mistress Zena is a user of Terra Magick. Her specialty is in medicine and healing. She first cleaned the blade marks, then gently placed her hands, a warm orange glow emitted from her palms. In an instant, the scars were gone and the pain seized.
I breathed a sigh of relief, “Thank you Mistress Zena.”
“Of course my dear,” she smiled sweetly, as she cleans up and I change into fresh robes she asks, “Lyra dear, what happened?”
“Kaelum went too far in sparring this morning. Master Warin has instructed him to tend to any of my needs for a week. I don’t know whether Master Warin is really punishing Kaelum or me.”
“Why would you be punished?”
“I’ve been pestering Master Warin. My magick hasn’t awakened and I grow antsy.” I sigh, “I know it’s childish.”
She smiles, "Patience my dear. Not only with yourself but with Kaelum too.” She pats my shoulder gently, “Now take the evening to rest, and drink this tea before bed.” Mistress Zena pushes a small burlap satchel into my palms. She leads me back to the main room of the temple where Kaelum still sat, playing with a small Fyre orb he produced.
“Kaelum, take her home and let her rest.” Mistress Zena’s eyes narrow, “Do well to heed Master Warin’s instructions."
His eyes dropped to the floor and he muttered, “Yes, Mistress Zena.”
We walked in silence to my hut, once there I snatched my bag from him, “Right, you did your job. Now go away.” I slam the door shut in his face.
Once inside I dropped my bag, contents spilling out on the floor. I pick up the burlap satchel and brew a cup of tea. After brewing I downed it in one gulp. The liquid scorched my tongue and throat. It didn’t matter though, not with the headache I’m going to have all week if Master Warin really had told Kaelum to do all this. I rinse my cup out, placing it on the small drying rack next to the sink. I didn’t care about my bag, I made my way to my bed and collapsed. Before falling asleep I had a strange thought, it made me laugh out loud.
To think, having Kaelum as my personal servant for a week. I wonder what torture I could put him through.
₊˚ ✧ ━━━━━━━━━⊱⋆⊰━━━━━━━━━ ✧ ₊˚
Bright light filtered through the thick curtains, warmth spread over my body, Mistress Zena’s tea soothing me. I stretched and slowly sat up, rubbing my eyes as I went to the small kitchen. While waiting for the water to boil, I changed and washed my face in the basin. I checked for any scarring, and luckily there was none. I stretched to test my range of motion, pleasantly finding I had no pain. I hummed happily as I finished getting ready.
Finally I sat down with my tea and a biscuit when there was a loud banging at my door. Sighing I had a feeling of who it was. Opening the hut door, I was surprised to see it wasn’t Kaelum but Cyrene. Her face beat red from running here,
“Cyrene-”
“No time. We must go to the Healing Temple.” She grabbed my wrist, the door slamming behind me.
“Why?”
“Kaelum is in there.”
My brows furrowed in confusion, she shakes her head. Tugging my arm, she drags me behind her, “He picked a fight with Laris and lost. He’s beat up pretty badly.”
“That doesn’t make any sense.”
Laris was a strong Terra folk, but there was no way he could have beat Kaelum. I may not like him, but I admit, Kaelum is an incredible magick user. He’s strong, cunning, he has mastered his skills ever since we were children. I often envy him for that. How he has such…control.
“I don’t know the full story, but it doesn’t matter right now. Master Warin also wanted to speak to you, he’s at the Healing Temple, it’s why I was in such a rush.”
Entering the Healing Temple, we are met with elder masters, mistresses and two of Kaelum’s friends, Aveus and Ezin. Cyrene parts from me, looking for Master Warin. I meet with the two boys,
“What happened?”
Aveus was the one who spoke first, “We really aren’t sure, that’s the problem.”
“Yeah, he was in a strange mood. We’ve never seen him like that before. He picked a fight.”
“Against Laris I was told.” they nodded in reply.
We heard muttering and healers coming in and out of the exam room, I briefly caught the sight of bloody bandages and rags. I turn back to Aveus and Ezin, “Where is Laris?”
Before either could answer, Master Warin appears behind me, “Lyra, please, walk with me.”
We leave the temple and set out towards the garden just outside, we sit. I fix my robes as Warin studies me.
“Are you well? I was told you did see Mistress Zena yesterday.”
“Yes, I’m alright. Warin, what happened with Kaelum?”
“I’m unaware of the cause of the fight. All I know is that Kaelum will be in bed for the next two days to recover.”
I scoffed, “So he did it to get out of his punishment. Typical.” I rolled my eyes.
“I wouldn’t place judgment so quickly. Not until you know the full story.” I follow his gaze, I see Laris walking along the cobblestone path to the greenhouse.
I make my way through the overgrown bushes and tree path to the greenhouse. The large glass house comes into view, the morning light reflects the stained glass panels of the associated gods and goddess of Terra magick. Light dances and trickles through the windows illuminating the plants inside. I spot Laris in the far right corner tending to a Firmis. An herb used in the aid of internal damage done to one’s body in battle.
“Laris, are you well?”
He turned to me briefly, then returned to clipping the plant, stashing the leaves into a small jar and sealing it. He repeated this again. I watched for a moment how his large fingers delicately grazed the plant leaves, gently snipping the leaf at the base before tucking it into the jar.
“ What happened earlier this morning with Kaelum?” I pressed again, when he offered nothing in return, I took the shears from him. Forcing him to look me in the eyes, “What happened?”
“He picked a fight, he made me mad enough. But it wasn’t a fair fight in the end.” I looked at his face, I could only read mixed emotions. I waited, he finally said, “He said my beating him was punishment of his own accord.”
“You mean to tell me he willingly let you beat him to a pulp?” I handed him back his shears, I was in disbelief. Laris is quite a large guy. Everyone knows he’s a gentle giant, that’s what makes this whole thing so out of the ordinary. Laris won’t fight unless provoked, he won't harm anyone for no good reason. Kaelum knows this and yet…
“He regrets hurting you from the spar match.” He explained, “I am regretful of an unfair fight, but I also don’t feel so bad. At least he owned up to his mistake.”
I was taken aback, I had no words to say. Mouth gaped open, Laris chuckled, “Here, take this back to the Healing Temple, Mistress Zena could use these. I might have bruised a rib or two.”
I walk slowly back to the temple, the small jar of Firmis leaves in my hands. Confused, mostly with myself. If Cyrene were with me, she’d have me sort these feelings out, I smiled at the thought.
At first I thought I’d feel some sort of justice served, I should feel a little greedily happy knowing he had to feel some amount of pain he’s put me through all these years. But a part of me felt something else, something I didn’t want to admit.
I also thought maybe Laris wasn’t telling me everything. Kaelum could have very well just lied and did it to still get out of his punishment from Warin. I look back at the trail to the greenhouse, no, I know he wouldn’t lie. And unfortunately I know Kaelum enough to not just go against Warin purposefully, he respected him too much.
Lost in my thoughts, Cyrene comes to greet me as I arrive at the temple. I told her about my conversation with Laris as I fiddled with the jar of Firmis leaves. She gave me a look and a devious grin that I brushed her off. I told her I needed to find Mistress Zena and that I’d catch up with her for afternoon classes. We parted and I hesitated at the entry of the temple.
Inside, Mistress Keeva and other Terra acolytes bustled around. She caught my gaze, huffing, “Yes, my dear, how can I help you?”
I looked over to the room Kaelum was in earlier, it was empty. I assumed they moved him to another wing of the temple or back to his own hut for recovery, “I was told to give these to Mistress Zena, Firmis leaves to help any internal damage done to Kaelum.” I handed over the jar.
“Ah, I presume Laris gave this to you?”
“Yes Mistress, he did.” I nodded, gathering my robes, I bow and take my leave.
“Lyra dear,” Keeva halts my leaving, offering me the jar, “I’m up to my ears in work, Kaelum was moved to the West Wing of the temple, Mistress Zena is there now. Be a dear and take it to her.”
“Yes Mistress.” I take the jar and ascend the steps to the west wing.
Walking down the quiet corridors of the West Wing, midday sun rolls in through the large arched windows, I felt the cool breeze of the fresh spring air gently chase me. I hear muffled voices at first, gradually as I reach the room occupied by Kaelum I hear Mistress Zena,
“My dear boy, why in Mother Terbius’ good name would you go and get yourself beaten to a pulp?”
My breath hitched, I waited to hear his reply, hoping no one in there could see me. I pressed myself up against the wall and strained my ears to hear anything I could.
“I don’t want to talk about it.” Kaelum rasped out. He sounded defeated.
“Excuse me,” a small voice said from behind me, I jumped and nearly dropped the jar, “can I help you?” Mistress Zena’s eyes snap to the door.
I cleared my throat, straightening my back, “I was told you give this to you Mistress.” Stepping into the room I dared not to look at Kaelum. My eyes locked onto Mistress Zena as I handed over the jar.
“Thank you Lyra.” She turned her back for a moment, my eyes wandered slowly to Kaelum. His eyes were closed and breathing steady, probably pretending to be asleep. Scanning his body I could tell Laris was right he had at least three bruised ribs, maybe more. Trailing back up, our eyes met briefly. Fyre raged in his, but I swear I saw something else. My attention snaps swiftly back to Zena as she presses a small satchel into my hand, “For your troubles.” She patted my hand smiling.
“Oh no Mistress, I need no payment.” I tried handing it back.
“I insist.” With that I was dismissed.
I look back at Kaelum briefly, he winced as the young acolyte unwrapped his bandages. I left feeling even less victorious.
₊˚ ✧ ━━━━━━━━━⊱⋆⊰━━━━━━━━━ ✧ ₊˚
After a couple of days in the Healing Temple, word spread of Kaelum returning to attend regular classes.
Cyrene and I join a small group of temptresses and over heard Kaelum talking to his friends,
“I’m able to attend classes, just no training for another week. The bruising hasn’t fully healed.” I noticed Laris walking past Kaelum, their eyes briefly met. They curtly nodded to one another, no words spoken as Laris continued on. It was a silent mending they had between one another.
It’s the end of the week, we all gather outside in the small meadow, tables lined with jars, potion, tonics and herbs greet us. Master Elwin welcomes us, “Good morning acolytes! Today we begin our examinations! Let us begin in haste! Firstly, Avenus. Please show us how you bottle Igneos and explain its purpose.”
Aveus steps forward to one large empty table, as he does, a cauldron and tools appear. He carefully chooses his ingredients as he begins to explain I felt someone watching me. I look around to find Kaelum sitting with Ezin, he was locked onto his target. For a moment I felt heated, not by anger but by something else. I shook it off, doing my best to ignore his stare.
Trying to pay attention to the other acolytes demonstrations, it was my turn, “Lyra,” Master Elwin gestures to me, “Please demonstrate how to bottle Avian and its properties."
I take my place at the freshly cleaned and empty table, new tools are glamoured onto the table. I look up to find Kaelum staring at me still, like his eyes never left me. I swallow and turn towards the table of herbs and tonics. I pick up the according ingredients,
“Avian the elixir of flight, is to help oneself travel swiftly as of flying. It’s meant to be used-” I stumbled a little, the feeling of Fyre caressed my body. I got nervous. I never get nervous, I look to Kaelum. His expression remained the same, I cleared my throat, “It’s meant to be used as an aid if you are in grave danger and need an escape.”
My palms were coated in sweat, I tried to remain calm, but the Fyre grew more intense. Like a flame brushing along my skin, coaxing me and trying to stir up emotions. I remained strong, I took a small flask filled with tonic, I poured it into the cauldron, plumes of silver smoke wafted up from the vessel.
“Well done Lyra, well done! Alright next, Cyrene.”
During the rest of the exams, I tried to ignore his stare, I tried to ignore the hot fiery feeling he was sending my way. Once we were excused I made a break for it, Cyrene hurried behind me. We made our way out of the meadow down to the small river that ran through Blackwater. I splashed cold water on my face, scooping it up in my palms. I drank deeply.
“Lyra, are you well? What was that all about? I’ve never seen you leave so hastily from class.”
“I’m fine Cyrene, come on let’s go I don't want to be late.” I briskly walk past her.
I’m stopped stopped by Kaelum along the way,
“I’m sure you’re disappointed that I’m not your lapdog this week.” he looked down, his golden eyes piercing my crimson ones. Saying nothing he continued, “I know you’ll want to gloat so just do it. I got my ass kicked.”
Finally I did speak, “Even if I despise you Kaelum, I’d never wish for you to take a beating like that.” I turned, I meant to keep walking but I couldn't, “Don’t try to sway me with your Fyre.” What looked like a flash of embarrassment flushed Kaelum’s face.
“I don’t know what you mean.” Turning on his heels he stalked off to his afternoon class across the village.
Catching up to Cyrene, we link arms, as she asked, “What did Kaelum have to say?”
I shook my head and sighed, “Nothing important.”
“Like usual?” Cyrene giggles.
I hesitated, “Yeah, like usual.”
₊˚ ✧ ━━━━━━━━━⊱⋆⊰━━━━━━━━━ ✧ ₊˚
Later that night as I prepared for bed, I heard something tapping on my window. I cross the bedroom to find a small Dew Orb sitting on my window sill. I looked out, finding no one around, this late in the evening hardly anyone was awake. I tilted my head and poked the orb alive,
A bright blue light illuminated before me, swirls of silver and white shimmer as two figures appear, outlines of a man and woman dancing under the starry night. They embrace one another before the orb’s light dimmed and slowly faded away.
My heart swelled and a smile broke out on my face, I dashed out of my room, grabbing a robe to cover my sleeping silks, I eagerly looked around in hopes I’d find who left the orb on my sill. To my disappointment I found no one. I walk around my hut towards my bedroom window, I face the small patch of trees,
“It’s truly beautiful, thank you.”
I went back inside and took the orb from the window sill, I gently poked again and it came back to light replaying the same image. I smiled and took it to my nightstand. Tucking under the covers I watched as the two small figures enveloped each other with passion and love, my eyes grew heavier, sleep tugging the thread.
That was the first night I dreamt about Kaelum.
┏═══˗ˏˋ ✦.★⋆. ࿐࿔.˚*✦˚ੈ✧✶ ✦₊˚⊹☆ˎˊ˗═══┓
End
┗═══˗ˏˋ ✦.★⋆. ࿐࿔.˚*✦˚ੈ✧✶ ✦₊˚⊹☆ˎˊ˗═══┛
No comments:
Post a Comment