Wednesday, July 29, 2026

on reading--

 I’ve always liked the idea of doing book reviews, like other content creators on YouTube or any other social media platform. I’m terribly camera shy so sitting in front of the lens isn’t something that's up my alley.


Like Lemony Snicket, I try to show very little of my real face.


Is this something that you’ll find interesting? My take on this book or that? Do you even find interest in this blog? (I really hope so…I’ve worked hard alright?) [insert laughing face emoji]


One big thing I’ve learned so far as a writer is that I need to read. Read widely, read pamphlets about viral diseases, read the magazine sitting on the coffee shop counter while you wait for your beverage. Read the classics, read the back of the milk carton. Read. 


So okay, I do that more frequently as an adult and since I decided to be a stay at home mom nearly a decade ago. I have a lot of time to read. As a child I was an avid reader, going into high school though, I lost interest in reading unless it was for English class (maybe it did me some good. I still think about the Crucible and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings to this day). I’ll go look at the rabbits George. 


Now as a writer I see reading differently.


I see the curtain pulled back and have a deeper appreciation for authors before, around and to be. I see the framing of the house these authors are building, strong foundations, solid walls and a roof to seal it all together. 


So while still being a writer, I must write. I must read. So wouldn’t it make sense for book reviews to also be a thing for me? How else am I going to get better at writing if I don’t expand my writing?


Such a fun journey I embark on!


-C.R. Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment

another friendly update

  My, my, my, how long it’s been- To make an incredibly long story short, I’ve been busy. Since the school year finally started for my dau...